<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 27, 2004

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 

I was tired of mindless entertainment so I thought I'd give this movie a spin. It really surprised me. At first blush, I didn't think I liked it. The more I thought about it, the more the imagery sank in (loved the store window display of detergent ) the more I appreciated the content. We've become so accustomed to action that we sometimes miss the subtleties (no, not the subtitles) unless they're pointed out. It's a very long poem, you know. Three hundred sixty-six lines, published in 1717 for Alexander Pope. Here is the section they picked out:

207 How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
208 The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
209 Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
210 Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;
211 Labour and rest, that equal periods keep;
212 "Obedient slumbers that can wake and weep;"
213 Desires compos'd, affections ever ev'n,
214 Tears that delight, and sighs that waft to Heav'n.
215 Grace shines around her with serenest beams,
216 And whisp'ring angels prompt her golden dreams.
217 For her th' unfading rose of Eden blooms,
218 And wings of seraphs shed divine perfumes,
219 For her the Spouse prepares the bridal ring,
220 For her white virgins hymeneals sing,
221 To sounds of heav'nly harps she dies away,
222 And melts in visions of eternal day.

and on that note, 'night.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Dynamic Bible Verse
New Bible Verses
Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar