<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 10, 2014

Hello. My name is Ruby. I am a grammar nazi. 


I read a lovely news story today and then, at the very end, I saw it. "The kidnapper later turned herself into police." How? With a magic wand?

I can't help myself. Misspellings, poor grammar and incorrect phraseology all stop me in my tracks. Random commenters are one thing but actual authors, journalists, advertisers and bloggers should know better and care more. I saw an ad for wooden wedding signs which proudly proclaimed that their product would be perfect for a "vowel renewal". Did part of our alphabet go rogue and has now returned to the fold? Cause for celebration, indeed.

And then there are the parts of speech that no one cares enough about to find the reason they don't make sense. It's because they're used incorrectly. The last time I said, "for all intents and purposes," I remembered reading something about people who say, "for all intensive purposes." What does that even mean? More importantly, what do those people mean when they say it? Having a purpose is important but those all-intensive ones could be perilous. Unless, of course, not all of our vowels have been renewed, in which case your doom would have to be spelled in Hebrew or Cyrillic. Or Welsh.

These and other, equally pointless questions will likely never be answered. I would wonder what was wrong with me but Grammarly​ says I'm perfectly normal. I believe them.

'night.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Dynamic Bible Verse
New Bible Verses
Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar